Information for Webinar Participants
TechCommNZ is using the Citrix GoToWebinar software to host our webinars. To attend a TechCommNZ webinar you will need:
- Headphones or loudspeakers to hear the webinar broadcast. You will also need a microphone if you wish to speak during question/answer sessions.
- Internet connection (broadband is best)
- Computer running Windows, Mac, iOS or Android operating system ( details)
Note: Apple iPads are supported by the GoToWebinar system. Read the FAQs for further details.
When you first access the webinar system, your computer will automatically download and install a small add-in for your browser. If your computer cannot do this due to security settings, you may have problems accessing the webinar. The download may take several minutes, depending on the speed of your internet connection.
Registering for the webinar
TechCommNZ webinar registration consists of two stages:
- (Chargeable webinars) Please log into your TechCommNZ account to register and make your payment by using the TechCommNZ website Buy Tickets button. This button is displayed on the page that provides full details of the webinar. When we receive your registration payment, we will send you a confirmation email. The email contains a link to the GoToWebinar system, where you can complete your registration.
(Free webinars) We will provide you with a link to the GoToWebinar system, where you can complete your registration.
- Completing your registration on the GoToWebinar system by entering your name, email address and other optional information. Once you have completed the registration process, the GoToWebinar system will send you an email with a link to the webinar itself, which you can use to access the webinar at the scheduled time. You can also use the same link to access any pre-webinar test sessions that may also be scheduled.
Joining the webinar
To join the webinar, follow the link in the GoToWebinar confirmation email a few minutes before the scheduled start time.
Please follow any on-screen instructions to set up your browser and launch the webinar software. If the webinar presentation has not yet started, you will then see the waiting room screen, which looks similar to this:
If the presentation has already started, you will see the presenter's desktop or their slide show.
During the webinar
When the webinar starts you will be given access to the control panel, which looks similar to this:
The main control panel will auto-hide after a few seconds, leaving the small left-hand panel displayed. Use the Hide/show control panel to re-display the main control panel.
You can use the Raise hand button to signal the webinar organiser that you have a question or require assistance.
If you have a question, type it in the question pane and click Send. The question will be sent to the webinar organiser, who will pass it on to the presenter at a suitable time. Questions may be held until the question and answer session towards the end of the webinar.
When you join the webinar, input from your microphone is automatically muted to avoid distracting noises being picked up. However, the organiser can un-mute your microphone if required during a question and answer session. If your microphone has been unmuted, your copy of the control panel will show a small green microphone icon.
Leaving the webinar
You can leave the webinar at any time by closing the webinar display window or by using the Exit option in the File menu on the control panel.